I’ve spent all day stewing over what to do about the edging. Do I hate it enough to be bothered ripping it back and carefully catching all the original edge stitches back onto a needle, or is it bearable enough that I can just continue and hope it blocks out ok at the end?
Friends, I have not knit a single stitch today, or most of yesterday, and I want this thing done so I can gift it as soon as possible. Not knitting is Not. Good. Clearly I don’t like it enough, and the only answer is to riiiiipppp!!!
I have successfully caught all the stitches up (I think! Better count.) and am ready to begin again. Phew. Here’s hoping my intended fix makes the intended difference.
Today I had another visit from the little green frog. Rrrrribbit!
I finished the body of my crazy stripes a couple of days ago, but I’m just not happy with the bottom hemline where the front left meets the back. I’ve trawled through a lot of finished projects on Ravelry and many seem to have quite a wobbly hemline over the hip in just that spot, and I don’t think it’s something that can just be blocked out.
One project, fortunately, had some notes about just this issue, including a record of what she did to fix it. She was making a different size so I’ve done a little maths myself and think I’ve come up with my own solution, so I’ve ripped back 48 rows (thankfully much shorter ones than last time I had to frog!) and am reknitting to hopefully achieve a better looking line. I quite enjoy a bit of knit-maths but still I hope the numbers stack up!
On the plus side, my new stitch markers really came in handy for this one!
I was doing so well. I learned how to put in a lifeline and rip back. I knit on successfully, with the decreases in the correct places this time, and continued on to the armhole shaping. I was on a roll. I just have the final shoulder decreases and binding off to do and I will have another panel of my cardigan cast off.
Have I mentioned that I’m doing a show? I’m in the chorus for my first musical for 12 years. I’ve done other am dram productions in the mean time, but not a musical since I left my youth theatre at 18. We’re about 5 rehearsals in, and have just been learning the choreography for the big full company number that opens Act 2 of the show. All going swimmingly well until disaster strikes. Some big collision between cast members mid-dance? A trip doing some ambitious step? A fall? No, I managed to kick my own hand and practically broke my finger. 3 hours spent in A&E (thankfully sans children and with a good book) and I’m all strapped and slinged up for at least the next week, so no knitting for me for a while. I think we’ll call that a fail!
I finally picked up my needles again yesterday, after what was evidently far too long away.
I knitted around 10 or 12 rows, including a couple of decreases and then counted my stitches. I checked against the pattern. I counted again. I did a little maths. I was very confused. Somehow it just wasn’t adding up correctly, even though every other stage seemed to be correct. The maths in the pattern was definitely right, but somehow my stitch count didn’t match.
I put it down and walked away for a while, but continued to mull over the problem. That’s when I thought to look a little further back in the pattern and realised my mistake. For the last 12 rows, I’d been looking at the wrong size numbers in the pattern. My final stitch count was in fact correct (yay! no frogging), unfortunately my decreases were not (boo, frogging). Given that they don’t line up with the previous decreases, it’s too obvious a mistake to just leave, so it’s time to figure out the best way to frog back 12 rows without messing the whole thing up and having to start again.
Woohoo! I’ve cast off the back panel of my cardigan! This is my first ever real knitting project – I’ve not even made so much as a scarf before – so I’m really quite excited and pleased with my achievement. Now I need to take the final step and cut the yarn, which always feels like the point of no return, as up til now I’ve always had the option of frogging everything and starting something different. But the panel looks like it’s the right shape according to the diagrams and I’m pretty sure I’ve followed all the instructions and dimensions as closely as possible, so I think it’s good to go.
The next job will be to block it, which is another new venture for me. I bought some of those interlocking foam mats the other day, specifically to use as blocking mats, though they’ve already been purloined by my boys for their own amusement. Not that I object too much to that – they are designed for kids to play on after all – I just hope I can steal them back for long enough to get the blocking done.