It’s blocking!

I dont think I’ve ever blocked anything, but this evening I cast off the shrug at last, sewed in the ends where I’d joined in new balls, and dunked the shrug in a sinkfull of cold water. No idea if thats the right way to do it, but that’s what I did.

I pushed it gently under the water to make sure it was fully wet, then drained the sink and gently squeezed out as much water as i could. I rolled it up in a towel, then stretched it out on a dry towel on the sofa and pinned it in place.

Hopefully it will be dry by morning and then all I’ve got to do is sew up each sleeve seam and its done! Amongst all the many other things I have to do tomorrow… *fingers in ears lalala* it’ll be fine! I’m so excited!

Tall order

My sister is getting married in just over two weeks time and I will be one of her bridesmaids. I have a gorgeous navy blue dress to wear, and will need a shawl or a shrug to cover up later in the day. We’ve had trouble finding something commercially available, so when my sister suggested that I and the other bridesmaid don’t necessarily need to have matching ones, I had the ridiculous idea that maybe I could knit myself something. In two weeks. Yes. I’m stoopid.

So I found a yarn shop conveniently close to a location I needed to travel to anyway yesterday. They didn’t have the greatest selection of yarns – I wanted something cushy that wouldn’t break the bank – but I found something that I thought would do. I bought Peter Pan Petite Fleur DK in an off white colour, with the intention of knitting the Sonoma shrug, but on a quick double check of Ravelry on returning home, I found the Emma shrug from Quince and Co, which I thought would be a quicker knit as the lacework is less fiddly, and I also preferred the longer sleeves.

20190815_170519

So I duly cast on and after about 12 rows and a couple hours work, I checked the rough guage of the piece and realised it was coming out a fair bit bigger than hoped. Some knit maths and calculating and a little mathematical help from the hubster and I ripped back and restarted on a size smaller and managed to get back to where I had been by the end of the evening. Now I just need to figure out what I’m doing wrong with my yarn-overs because they’re not looking like the open eyelets in the picture, and then knit like a crazy lady for the next two weeks. Cos it’s not like I’m working as well or anything!! Wish me luck!